Monday, August 12, 2013

I Get It...Well, Kinda

Yes, I know a good number of CPS schools were underutilized.   I also realize that CPS has had a huge and growing budget deficit.   I am also aware of the fact that the total city school-age population is dwindling.  And I understand that something had to be done about all of these issues.

Here's what I don't get.   Why are principals, often with growing populations due to becoming a welcoming school, faced with massive building cuts?   Why do they have to pay for substitute teachers out of the their building budget or buy their own toilet paper?   How on earth does CPS think that losing 92 art positions, 54 lost music teachers, 58 lost Physical Education teachers and 40 librarians is good for a comprehensive education?

Yes, something had to be done alright.  The big question is this...will the above 'slash and burn' cost cutting measure hinder a child's education and the ability of teachers to deliver?

Stay tuned!
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School