Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Two Things, Just Two

I can vividly remember getting into education as a profession well over 40 years ago. I made less than $10,000 in my first year and to the day that I retired I couldn't tell you what I made in that final year. No, I didn't intentionally forget what I made in 2005. It was more a matter that the amount of money didn't matter.

What mattered in the early 70's, as well as in 2005 and 2015, is something far more important than the bucks.

Teachers teach because young people matter and to effectively help students two factors are critical to making the enterprise of teaching and learning bloom. If teachers are asked what resources they need and are provided with ALL the necessary tools, that will go a long way towards reaching that goal. The final piece of the puzzle revolves around how one is treated.

If the community, boards of education, and school administration accords the staff with genuine respect, makes clear their shared concern for excellence, seeks their input (and follows it), and really care about others. To get right down to it, their is a fabric woven akin to a well-functioning family. Trust, respect and loyalty prevail.

Find a successful school and the above prevails.

Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School