Saturday, September 17, 2011

Some Randomness!!

#1 I continue to be perplexed by this scenario. Our population, number of school age students, are all on the rise in this country yet we are getting larger class sizes in many areas while teachers are being cut. Makes no sense to me.

#2 Why do we continue to assess student success largely based on test scores? What happened to improvement, work ethic, attendance and the like?

#3 A fantastic teacher is still the primary means of delivering a great education. Can you imagine if your son or daughter was taught purely by a computer without the face-to-face interaction? I can...it would be disaster!!

#4 I hope schools, and the public-at-large, don't lose sight of the fact that vocational training needs to be an important element in the educational process. Not everyone wants to attend college.

#5 I find it appalling when I hear people say that young people, who come from high crime areas with great poverty, simply 'need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps.' Here's the big problem with that statement...they aren't provided the proverbial bootstraps!!! (resources, support, community backing, jobs, etc.)

Thanks for following my blog,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School