Friday, September 16, 2011

The Challenge of Non Profits

I had a lengthy phone conversation with a good friend of mine who embraces volunteerism and the idea of aiding others in need. She is a woman of deep conviction and great passion. I have always found her willing to embrace new adventures, seeking ways to help those who go without, and finding ways to bring others to join in various causes.

My friend confided in me that she will have to give up some of her work in running a non-profit. She also mentioned that finding someone to take over for her is simply not panning out. We also talked about the fact that many people have lots going on in their lives and sometimes these folks aren't able to help as much as they did in the past.

On the one hand, this was a sad phone call but, on the other, I do understand her need to step aside.

Giving of ones time, mental effort, money and a certain amount of freedom can certainly be very consuming when it comes to doing volunteer while, at the same time, raising a family, working, and attending to other pressing concerns. In short, running a charity is a big responsibility.

I have long respected the work of this individual and I understand her dilemma. I simply want to congratulate her on all that she has done for so many people over such a long period of time. I know her willing to be of comfort to others will not end just because she has to step back.

I also want people who read this blog to know that I truly appreciate all that they do in the name of true charity. Your countless acts of kindness are appreciated.

One other observation seems to be clear to me. As long as we keep many people involved in our work so that no one person shoulders too much of the burden, we are all the better for it.

Thanks so much,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School