Friday, May 5, 2017

A Life Well Lived

I have a very brief story to tell regarding someone I taught with and with whom, after our teaching days came to an end, I managed to stay in touch through the work of our charity. Sadly, Mary Ann Reeder passed away this past January. I did not know of her passing until this past week.

Mary Ann taught Physical Education at Hinsdale Central High School and coached a number of sports during her tenure as a Red Devil. She simply drove in from Gardner each day and quietly went about her job. She taught and coached with the same level of consistency day in and day out. She wasn't the kind of person to call attention to herself and she wasn't looking for kudo's or aspiring to climb the proverbial ladder.

Mary Ann had retired before I took this same path in 2005 but we stay in touch with each other through the work of our charity. As is our custom, each spring, we solicit the public for donations to Schools Count. If I sent out a newsletter on a Tuesday of any given week, Mary Ann would have a donation to me by the end of that very same week. She was always the first to send me a donation and a letter of thanks accompanying the check and she did so every year. By the first of April this year I had not heard from Mary Ann. I was quite worried that something was wrong. Little did I know that she had passed away.

Mary Ann was a strong advocate for students, a humble person, a lover of all things dealing with the rodeo, a follower of the Cubs & Blackhawks. And she was ALWAYS there to provide the students we serve with funds to lift them up. Funny thing about her donation and letter each spring...she ALWAYS provided me with the inspiration and spirit that helping others is a path worth walking. I will always be grateful for all she provided in the service to others.

RIP my friend,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School