Friday, February 17, 2012

Scratching my Head!

Sometimes things just don't make sense. Okay, there are plenty of times when certain events or decisions made in the field of education simply defy common sense or logic.

On my way to Starbucks this morning I noticed a school bus picking up children at 6:05 am. Really...6:05!!! This is not an optimal time to start teaching. I realize the kids aren't in class at 6:05 but I am sure they are in the classroom at 7:00. Like I said, this isn't a good time for teaching and learning.

Here's another one...The more I examine schools and school practices I have noticed that a good number of schools, as a growing trend, are eliminating all sorts of what I will generically refer to as shop programs. Gone are many woods and auto mechanics classes.

These programs were typically the first exposure of students who became carpenters, mechanics, machinists, plumbers and the like.

We need people in these trades. No wonder 50,000 factories have shuttered their doors in the past eleven years!! High schools typically offered great 'shop' programs. It is a shame that these courses are disappearing. I would love to see the NEA and AFT, and the local associations, fight to keep these programs.

One other thing about shop programs going by the wayside. Ask almost anyone who has been around the teaching profession for awhile and they will tell you that there are plenty of students who want to be in these programs. Without them, I can tell you from experience, a school has more disciplinary issues.

Still scratching my head...

Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School