Friday, January 27, 2012

Just Another Day in the Life of a Teacher

I have written past stories regarding the onslaught of 'reforms' put in place by various government agencies. At the same time, I have commented on the amount of time, effort, and thought it takes for the classroom teacher to implement such reforms as; 504 plans, various levels of curriculum (and delivery) for students in the same class, online assignments, and IEP's.

I came across an example with an IEP, just the other day, that underscores the huge commitment made by teachers that goes virtually unnoticed by the general population. And, while going unnoticed, it allows critics of teachers and schools to continue the barrage of criticism against public education.

Here's what I came in contact with...A teacher filled me in on a student with an IEP who has it written in his plan, among a number of accommodations, that if he goes below a certain score then the teacher has to meet before and/or after school to go over the incorrect answers. The teacher has to go over all the material that this young man got wrong and he will keep meeting with the teacher until he gets the material correct. Once that takes place then the score will be raised.

Let me be clear I have worked with students with IEP's for a long period of time and I very much enjoyed my relationship with them just as I did with other students. So I want it to be known that we are to help students who have IEP's.

A teacher literally could have to meet with this one person numerous times (and has) per week outside of the classroom. But that's not the whole story. That's just not reasonable given the other duties of a teacher, the time that needs to be spent with up to 130 other students who might need one to one assistance, and the fact that many teachers have lots of IEP students.

Too often, those that develop such 'reforms' just don't understand, or care to, just how difficult it is to meet everyone's expectations and mandates. Really, when will this whirlwind of demands, many not very reasonable, end?

Like I said, it's 'just another day in the life of a teacher.' The fact is, it doesn't have to be this way.

Thanks,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School