Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tough Sledding

Yesterday I spent about an hour and one-half in a Chicago southside neighborhood school. I had a great conversation with the secretary in the Main Office as well as with the Principal and Assistant Principal. It is a school in need of our help and the people have already expressed their profound appreciation for our upcoming assistance.

What struck me is the area surrounding the school. To see so many homes boarded up is truly sad. So many people seemed to be milling about, around 2 pm, in an almost aimless manner...no doubt there are too few jobs. The streets are in disrepair and the amount of litter was overwhelming...it was everywhere. A Chicago policeman stood on the corner near the elementary school and many parents were waiting for their children by the front door. I had the sense they did so for safety concerns.

The once majestic building was clearly in need of repair. The Principal voiced concern over whether his building will be open in the 2011-12 school year as the student population has continued to dwindle. One of secretaries lamented a classroom that was out of control and that substitute teachers had come and gone in rapid succession.

Both the Principal and Asst. Principal were kind and hopeful as were the few teachers I met. But I must say, I sensed a sadness about them in terms of overcoming all of the odds that seem stacked against them.

I left the school determined to help them. But I also thought about the future of the school, its personnel and the neighborhood. Where would they get jobs? Will they be safe? Can they see a better day? Can they surmount the many pitfalls that seem to be everywhere? Do they have access to the advantages many of us have in our daily lives?

Honestly, I have some real apprehensions relative to what lies ahead. It is indeed tough sledding. It is one of the first times, in years, I left a school disheartened. One more hill to climb.

Thanks,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School