Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Haiti Update

Just wanted to pass along some updates on our work to help rebuild Institute Mixte Nao in Darbonne, Haiti. Lots of things are in the works as the school is being rebuilt.

First of all we have a number of exciting projects that we are participating in to raise more funds for the construction of IMN. The Hinsdale Central H. S. FEA and FCCLA clubs are sponsoring a March 19th bowl-a-thon from 3:30 to 6:00. Students participating in the 3-game bowling are seeking sponsors for the number of pins knocked down. If you want to sponsor a bowler you can do so by emailing me at rich219@comcast.net and I'll hook you up.

This will be a great event as we are providing food to the bowlers, a t-shirt, and various prizes. Of course the real winners in this are the students of IMN!

Speaking of bowling, one of my great student volunteers at York H. S., who has collected school supplies for New Orleans schools, is also running a bowl-a-thon. As details emerge I'll be sure to pass along the information. All of the proceeds of both bowl-a-thons will go towards IMN.

Within the next week to 10 days I will also be selling red and blue wrist bands (the colors of the Haitian flag) for $2. The inscription says "Hands Helping Haiti." Again, all of the money raised will aid IMN. If you want to place an order let me know and I'll send you the band(s) as soon as they come in.

Finally, on another note, I will be traveling to Darbonne, Haiti in April to assess the progress on the school and get a first hand glimpse of the damage to the region. Just as importantly, I will have a chance to talk with the citizens of Darbonne and to meet with John Engle of Haiti Partners. My visit will also afford me the opportunity to meet Maxandre the Director of IMN. I am especially looking forward to meeting some of the students who attend IMN. I'll be sure to sure my impressions of the April 23-26 trip when I return to the states.

Anyone interested in running their own fundraiser...GO FOR IT!! Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick Flesher

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School