Wednesday, February 12, 2014

These Make a Difference

I have indeed learned some lessons on Finnish education. Though I no longer teach, I am an advocate education and American schooling. I have often found that one of the best ways of marching forward is to look inside our current building, selves and practices.

Having fewer students in classes does make a difference. What I have found, from studying the Finnish model, however, is that the idea that schools collaborate rather than compete is a fundamental element in the entire process. How else are you going to get teachers to work with one another?

It is clear to me that there is a strong unit, a cohesive approach towards teaching and learning in Finland. It's neither the teachers nor the municipal authority nor parents controlling the levers of power. In fact, you really can't describe what they do as 'levers of power.' What is happens in Finland is that everyone pitches in and does what they do best and they are left alone to perform.

It is apparent to me that excellence is more important than accountability. I far prefer the former rather than the latter.

Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School