Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Posing a Question

I have many questions about education. It is one of the truly wonderful elements of the enterprise; asking questions, probing and searching for answers.

Long ago I thought about one overarching question. What is best or good for everyone involved in teaching and learning? I'm not talking about structural or ways of organizing schools; (though they have relevence)rather, what are those meaty, nitty gritty things that make a difference.

Of course, you can start with teachers. No arguing that point. So then, what qualities do you want to see in an instructor? For me, I want someone who cares about and is passionate about teaching; that is, they want to see young people grow and make progress. I want someone who cares deeply about their students on a personal level and I want to see someone light a fire in their kids. Oh, this isn't easy to do nor is there a ready prescription.

A great teacher, to do the above, has to constantly demonstrate their true love of their subject matter. They have to make the material come alive. Great teachers have mastered and are continuing to master their understanding of what they teach. They aren't going through the motions and they aren't readying kids for a test. What they teach affects who we are and the journey we will take.

I'm not trying to be glib or to fill in some space. I really believe these teacher traits have a profound impact when it comes to the question of finding what is best for everyone involved in teaching and learning.

Thanks,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School