Saturday, November 17, 2012

Trip to Moonachie, NJ

When I entered Moonachie, NJ yesterday it first appeared as though the town didn't get hit as hard as I originally thought.  Boy, was I wrong!!!  The school is closed for the year, Blimpe was the only business open in town and the inside of all the homes I visited were a literal mess.

Fortunately, the garbage by the side of the road has been picked up but, other than that, Moonachie is sorely in need of help.  95% of the cars, which appear to be in running condition, are now junk.  The flood waters - much of it salt water - has fully destroyed the cars, SUV's, vans and trucks.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, will need to get a new or used form of transportation.

As I passed out $100 grocery and Home Depot gift cards to the families of the children who attend Robert Craig Elementary I got a chance to go into the homes of the residents.  Every basement and first floor are in horrible and unliveable condition!!  It is sad!!  Many people live on the second floor as the lower levels can't be lived in.  There are still people without power and I found a couple of homes, three weeks after the hurricane who are keeping warm with a small kerosene heater.

All the appliances are shot, floors torn up, dry wall that is beyond repair and more.  People are doing their best but the hardships will be many.  To a person, the people who got the gift cards were most grateful and want me to pass along their thanks.  Some broke down in tears, knowing that you care about them.  And that's what our trip was about, demonstrating a care for others.

Thanks,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School