Saturday, October 22, 2011

What We Ought to Expect

What do we really want our teachers to do that will ultimately make a difference in the lives of our young people? Notice I didn't say what will make them prosperous nor do I make any mention of an occupation. Likewise, I don't think it serves students well simply to be fully prepped for various exams.

No, I'm advocating for something far more reaching.

From my vantage point I want teachers to engage students. I want a teacher who can pass along his/her thirst for knowledge in the hope that his/her students will do the same. I want a teacher who is committed to listening.

I long for teachers who pour their heart and soul into teaching...who literally bare all that they stand for.

I want teachers who are truthful, full of candor and who act according to the principles of decency and act in the name of the common good. I want to see a teacher live by his/her word.

My guess is that if a teacher stands for the above, students - no matter their location, grade, race, gender, age - will be all the better for it.

Thanks,
Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School