Monday, May 9, 2011

Some Final Comments

Over the past few days I have tried to articulate some of my misgivings regarding the growth of public charter schools. Some final thoughts on charters seem appropriate.

In the big picture, I see some real cause for concern. I have the very real sense that government agencies are in the throes of 'off loading' various debts and expenses and are willing to 'sell off' schools. Some states have already gone so far as to allow 'for profit' companies to operate in their states. Nothing is more important to local and state governments than an excellent public education.

Given the intricacies of public education, collective bargaining still offers opportunities for the classroom teacher and administration to collaborate on critical issues confronting teachers and students. As the move towards charters continues I have serious doubts about continuing the legacy of working in partnership without collective bargaining.

Merit pay is often tossed around in association with the formation of charter schools. Assessing who deserves merit pay and determining just what meritorious teaching comprises is difficult at best. I see merit pay, in the long term, as having disastrous results.

It is my belief that educational reform can take place. It can, and does, effectively occur right now within the normal public school setting. I simply don't feel that charters are a panacea for ending various ills nor do I feel that municipalities should abrogate their responsibilities with regard to providing a comprehensive public education.

Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School