Wednesday, November 3, 2021

On Honesty and Diversity

 Two interesting events took place yesterday.   In the first case the Southlake Texas school board election was won by a candidate who wanted to get rid of the district's diversity plan.    The other election saw Glenn Youngkin win the governor's race in Virginia.    In large part the governor's race, like the Southlake board election, had much to do with education.

At the heart of both elections was the issue of education or more specifically diversity and race (or as some refer to it as 'critical race theory').

Let's go back to the title of this post.   If we are dealing with anything in education, in this case diversity/race it ought to come as no surprise that we ought to talk about/discuss issues in an honest manner.   Sugar coating ought to be for cereal!

First, I know of no curriculum in schools that teaches so called 'critical race theory.'   How do I know?  I've asked teachers and others have been interviewed and said the same.   Second, if our schools are REALLY doing their jobs then we have to tell the whole story in an accurate manner whether that deals with economics, race, grammar, music, etc., etc.   Third, we have always been a diverse nation.  Nothing new there.    So why is the issue centering on facets in public education now in some school board and governor elections?   Yes, I really want to know why?   Oh, I have some thoughts as to why!

As I was trained as a teacher I did not come across the Tulsa Massacre, the Wilmington Massacre, the New Orleans Massacre, the destruction of Rosewood, FL (yes, that's what they were) and many other harmful events that actually took place in our history.   If I had known about these I would have included them in my lessons.

And quite 'honestly' had I known about any FACTUAL and ACTUAL events that took place in our nation's past then, as an educator, I should have taught it; otherwise it would have been a dereliction of duty.  I would hope that parents would want me to do the same.  And finally, as far as elections are concerned with many issues to consider by the voters, if any candidate can't portray an important issue within education in an honest manner then they are really doing a disservice to their constituents.

Dickis 

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School