Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Implications of the Devos Hearing

I typically don't weigh in on politics per se but I don't see the Ms. Devos, nominee for the Education Secretary, hearing as one dealing with politics rather one dealing with governing and overseeing education. I watched the hearing last evening and came away with a couple of thoughts.

When Ms. Devos was asked about whether guns belong in schools, she really seemed to be ambivalent about either supporting or not supporting their presence in schools. I'm not talking about the rights of people to own firearms but it seems that the presence of guns in places of learning is a pretty simple matter or question. Ms. Devos didn't really give a firm answer, one way or the other, regarding the issue.

I also found it rather confusing that Ms. Devos didn't have a firm stance concerning whether the the goal of education ought to be to promote either proficiency or growth. Perhaps the goal is to promote both of these. I do strongly believe that the Secretary of Education should be clear on this important matter.

These and other issues surrounding Ms. Devos nomination cause me great concern about the future of public education.

Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School