Wednesday, June 6, 2012

An Honor

Yesterday was one of the highlights of heading Schools Count Corp.  I was invited to attend the Harvey School District end-of-the-year school celebration as we provided the children with winter coats, Christmas gifts and food gift cards.  It was a time to have a meal, share some time with colleagues, meet people and share in the achievements of those in attendance.

I was blown away with the size of the celebration from the time I entered the parking lot a good 30 minutes before the program started.   The gym was packed!

My experience only became more rewarding as the program got underway.  The Brooks Middle School jazz band was simply spectacular!   I have heard many ensembles but this group for their age...wow did they rock the gym!!!!!!!!!!!!

The various district administrators greeted me, past school board members, retirees and IL. State Representative Will Davis in a most courteous and warm manner.  I truly felt at home and at ease considering I knew one person among the hundreds in attendance.

Those who spoke were passionate, sincere and self effacing.  What a great group of professionals.  If I were in charge, I'd hire a good number of them.

Towards the end of the program, as a representative of the charity, I was called to the front of the gym to receive a plaque.  The words of praise read by the MC were heartfelt.  Those in attendance greeted the contributions of our charity to the children and teachers with thunderous applause.  I was stunned.  Like I said, it was an honor. 

To know that people were so very appreciative was at once inspiring and humbling.  What a day, what a group of people, and what a privilege to be able to serve others.

Dick

No comments:

Girls Singing at IMN

Classes Singing at IMN

IMN School Opens

Driving into Port Au Prince

IMN School Welcome

Tour of IMN School

IMN School